New books, at long last!! Earlier this month my public library system started an order and collection service. I have already gone to pick up two batches of reservations.
I also signed up to be a library volunteer starting in the first week of August – two hours on a Tuesday morning and two hours on a Thursday afternoon. To start with, I will mostly be helping with shelving and picking the reserved books off the shelves. It will be fun to be a part of this service, and once the library fully reopens perhaps I’ll have a little more customer interaction, too.
Have you been able to borrow more books lately, perhaps via a curbside pickup scheme? Feel free to use the image above and leave a link to your blog in the comments if you’ve taken part in Library Checkout (which runs on the last Monday of every month), or tag me on Twitter/Instagram (@bookishbeck, #TheLibraryCheckout).
- Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student and the Life-Changing Power of Books by Michelle Kuo
- Property by Valerie Martin
- Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler
- Death Is but a Dream: Finding Hope and Meaning at Life’s End by Dr. Christopher Kerr with Carine Mardorossian
- The Butterfly Isles: A Summer in Search of Our Emperors and Admirals by Patrick Barkham
- Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams
- Addition by Toni Jordan
- Dark, Salt, Clear: Life in a Cornish Fishing Town by Lamorna Ash
CHECKED OUT, TO BE READ
- The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Daré
- What Have I Done?: An Honest Memoir about Surviving Postnatal Mental Illness by Laura Dockrill
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
- Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 by Cho Nam-Joo
- How to Be Both by Ali Smith
- Adults by Emma Jane Unsworth
ON HOLD, TO BE PICKED UP
- Close to Where the Heart Gives Out: A Year in the Life of an Orkney Doctor by Malcolm Alexander
IN THE RESERVATION QUEUE
- Disobedience by Naomi Alderman
- A Traveller at the Gates of Wisdom by John Boyne
- Dependency by Tove Ditlevsen
- 33 Meditations on Death: Notes from the Wrong End of Medicine by David Jarrett
- Can You Hear Me? A Paramedic’s Encounters with Life and Death by Jake Jones
- Dear NHS: 100 Stories to Say Thank You, edited by Adam Kay
- Exchange by Paul Magrs
- Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell
- The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley
- Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid
- Sadler’s Birthday by Rose Tremain
- Water Ways: A Thousand Miles along Britain’s Canals by Jasper Winn
- The Wild Silence by Raynor Winn
- The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
- A Summer of Drowning by John Burnside – The prologue didn’t draw me in.
- The Motion of the Body through Space by Lionel Shriver – Kooky names, overwriting, obvious setup, racial stereotypes.
- Summer before the Dark: Stefan Zweig and Joseph Roth, Ostend 1936 by Volker Weidermann – Too niche a subject.